Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Really?

Yes, I am still here. Just busy. Coleton started baseball and LAX this past week. Paige has another ear infection, and I had Science Fair night at my school as well as attending board meetings about the budget in our own school district
Let's talk about school budgets. Here in NY the state has taken away all sorts of money from the schools and it is really impacting the programs in each of our schools.
Teachers are the scapegoats for all the ills of the budgets, and people are often not nice about teachers and the pay and benefits they receive for the job they do.
I say they, when I really mean me- because as most of you know I am a teacher.

Well, I just say to all those people- Really? Most teachers I know work really hard, and of course you will find the few that well - don't- but come on there are a few bad apples in every pot. We didn't create all the chaos that is going on in the state budgets. Tenure is being attacked, my pension is being attacked and generally everything I stand for in my profession is being attacked.
When did we become a society of - you get more than me then no fair- ? Everyone has choices. I would like to see Mr. Bloomberg- the worst offender of badmouthing teachers- stand up and really teach for one week in his city schools.
I didn't complain when the business people were getting good raises and nice fat bonuses, or stock options... nope. Now that I get a measly 3 % cost of living raise people can't stand teachers... Really?

I could go on but I won't. At least not in this post.. Mostly, my kids are gonna suffer because all the programs they love will be cut, some of the important academics will be out and the fun stuff too. I know who I won't be voting for in the next round of elections.

Really!!!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Ah Lisa ~ I know. Watched with horror what happened just North of us in Wisconsin and absolutely its trickling into other states. I don't get it either....why teachers? All the waste, pork, entitlements, etc. in our society and everyday working folks are being targeted? Crazy and actuall worse...scary.

Cuz I tell ya what....whose going to step in when the VERY best teachers step aside, finally fed up with the attacks, rhetoric, unattainable demands, safety issues ...I could keep going....and worst, how many of us will feel like we no longer can make a difference due to constraints and politics and simply step aside. Or simply cannot afford to teach anymore. :(

Hmm...what folks will be saying then?

Hang in there Sista!

Lisa said...

ack, sorry for the few typos....I'm fired up!! :)

Lisa said...

ooh Lisa -
This is what Im talking about.. and of course you say it so much better... UGGGHHH.